Resident Advisor Position
Our mission at SUNY Maritime is to provide a safe environment where our students can live and learn together to achieve academic success, develop lasting friendships, and build skills needed for their future goals. Our goal is to create a home away from home, where students are free to learn and explore their talents. SUNY Maritime Resident Advisors (RA) play a pivotal role in creating a sense of community among residents that encourages development of respect, social responsibility, integrity, ethical leadership and independence.
Summary of Qualifications
The criteria listed below must be sustained throughout the period of employment.
- Must be and maintain a full-time SUNY Maritime student status, and be enrolled in a degree granting program(s).
- Must be a Regimental 1st or 2nd class student/graduate student OR a Civilian who has lived in housing for at least one semester.
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 at the start of employment for each term.
- Must not have any class 1 offenses OR level one offense within the year (August to August/January to January).
- Must not have over 50 demerits within the year. (August to August/January to January)
- Must not have over 200 demerits during your career at Maritime.
- Civilians must demonstrate a good judicial record.
- RA duties do require some physical work that would include climbing stairs, walking to and from buildings, and possibly moving and/or lifting heavy items maintained by the Office of Housing & Residential Life. If you have any individual needs or accommodations that would restrict you from performing any part of the RA duties, please request your needs in writing to the Director of Housing and Residential Life before signing this agreement.
*Exceptions made to the eligibility requirements are rare –all pertaining departments will have input regarding exceptions*
*Pursuant to State University policy, SUNY Maritime College is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction.
RA duties do require some physical work that would include climbing stairs, walking to and from buildings, and possibly moving and/or lifting heavy items maintained by the Office of Housing & Residential Life. If you have any individual needs or accommodations that would restrict you from performing any part of the RA duties, please request your needs in writing to the Director of Housing and Residential Life before signing this agreement.
*Exceptions made to the eligibility requirements are rare –all pertaining departments will have input regarding exceptions.
Compensation for all RAs will consist of a room wavier for the semester. *Room wavier subjected to change*
Submit the following documents to the Office of Housing and Residential Life by Wednesday, February 22, 2017.
- Three contact references, personal or professional (name, address, phone number, email)
- Two Letters of Recommendation from campus administrators or current/former employers.
- Print off an unofficial transcript from Self Service.
- If Regimental: Include a copy of your demerit record
- If Civilian: Include a written account for infractions, citations, judicial action while attending Maritime.
- Student Employee Application Form
*If any of the above is not provided, the application will NOT be considered for the position*
*Please deliver/package application in the order given above*
Timeline for Spring 2017 Candidates
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Application packets will be reviewed by a Housing Committee made up of current Resident Advisors, Building Managers, and Assistant/ Director of Residential Life & Regimental Officers.
Monday, February 27, 2017 to Friday, March 3, 2017
Candidates will participate in a 30 min interview with Assistant /Director of Residential Life, Building Managers and current Resident Advisors. Applicants are required to scheduled appropriate time with ADH or the Director to conduct interview.
RA Notification of Position
Monday, March 13, 2017
Applicant will be notified via student email by the above date.
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Applicants must accept their offer letter by the above due day
Students interested in applying for the Resident Advisor are strongly encouraged to view the job contract to be familiar with job responsbilities. Regimental RAs have a dual role with both the Office of Housing & Residence Life and the Regimental. Those additional responsbilities are listed in the Regimental RA Contract.