Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services

Student Services helps students who need accessibility modifications to succeed in their studies. Accommodations are designed to ensure all students have equal access to instruction, understanding and testing. All information is kept confidential unless the student requests otherwise.

Guidelines for Students with Disabilities

A diagnosis alone does not identify a disability. Individualized education and 504 plans are acceptable forms of documentation. Before graduating high school, we recommend that all students have comprehensive psychological, educational and social evaluations to assist with the college transition.

To recieve accomodations, a professional evaluator must submit a written disclosure as early in the semester as possible. Thorough documentation includes diagnosis, current status of disability, level of functioning and a summary including areas where adjustments might be necessary. For accomodations related to cognitive differences, a psycho-educational or psycho-neurological evaluation should include intelligence/ability and achievement tests.

To recieve an accomodation: 

  • Freshmen and transfer students should discuss their needs with an Admissions counselor before the semester starts
  • Send your documentation to the Office of Accessibility Services
    • Email William J. Imbriale, associate dean of students, at 
    • Mail to: Office of Accessibility Services, Student Life, 6 Pennyfield Ave., Throggs Neck, NY 10465
  • Schedule a meeting with William Imbriale, associate dean of students, to discuss your needs. Bring your documentation if we don't already have it. Schedule a meeting by calling (718) 409-7348​
  • After review, you will receive a letter of accommodation to share with your professors
  • Students seeking exam accomodations should submit an exam request at least three business days (72 hours) before the exam

Accommodations for students pursuing a U.S. Coast Guard license

There are no accomodations for the U.S. Coast Guard exams, and accomodations for courses that include Standards of Training, Certification and Watchstanding, or STCW, assessments are usually not permitted. Students who plan to go on summer sea term should talk with the Office of Accessibility Services and their department chair about accomodations.

National Voter Registration Act 

Students registering with accessibility services can receive assistance filling out New York voter registration forms. Click here for more information.


For more information, contact William J. Imbriale, associate dean of students, at (718) 409-7348 or

For the complete handbook, click here.