Student Complaint Policies, Procedures, and Resources

Student Complaint Policies, Procedures, and Resources

Maritime College must provide students and prospective students with appropriate contact information for filing complaints with accreditors, the State University of New York, the New York State Department of Education, and the United States Department of Education.


SUNY Maritime College makes every effort to resolve student complaints as internal matters utilizing its established policies and procedures. SUNY Maritime College expects all students to make efforts in full faith to resolve their concerns utilizing the processes and procedures outlined in these referenced documents. Some of the links and procedures to filing complaints in these specific areas are outlined below:




  • Non-Academic Complaints: Students may file non-academic complaints with the respective department head or Dean of Student Affairs. Students may also file complaints online using the Advocate system here: These complaints are distributed to the appropriate department for response. While on Summer Sea Term, students may speak to the designated person ashore or any faculty or staff member on board or contact the Dean of Student Affairs via the on board email system. Students on Cadet Shipping may contact the Cadet Shipping Coordinator or University Police.


  • Complaints pertaining to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Information pertaining to accommodation and accessibility services can be found on the Accessibility Services webpage at Specific instructions regarding grievances pertaining to ADA can be found in the Accessibility Services manual at the bottom of the webpage.






  • Criminal Activity: Complaints regarding matters of a criminal nature should contact the University Police Department (UPD) at 718-409-7311.


Each respective department is responsible for receiving and logging complaints in relevant areas and assessing for trends, new issues, or other matters of concern. Unit heads are expected to present a summary of these complaints to their respective unit heads, administrative vice president, and/or president of the institution. Changes to policy, procedure, or institutional function will be reviewed and administered by the relevant body.


If a resolution cannot be reached following the aforementioned procedures, students may pursue the following avenues.  


State University of New York

SUNY System Administration

State University Plaza

353 Broadway

Albany, NY 12246

Phone: (518) 320-1100


Middle States Commission on Higher Education

3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104

Telephone: (267) 284-5000

E-mail: Spanish:

General link:


New York State Department of Education

New York State Education Department

89 Washington Avenue

Albany, New York 12234

General information: (518) 474-3852


US Department of Education

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20202

(800) 872-5327