International Student Health Insurance

International Student Health Insurance

International students are required to have health insurance. If you cannot prove that you have insurance, it will be provided automatically by HTH Worldwide and the cost added to your bill each semester. For more information or to log in, click the link above.

If you are sick or hurt, visit the college health center in Riesenberg Gym.

Insurance Plan Highlights

  • $200,000 per year for each injury or illness
  • $10,000 for accidental death and dismemberment
  • $50 deductible, which is waived with a referral from the Health Center
  • Pre-existing conditions are covered
  • Dental treatment for accidental injury to sound, natural teeth
  • Prescription drug card
  • Reasonable expenses for necessary treatment

This plan provides full benefits anywhere except in your country of origin.

Dependents who are enrolled with HTH Worldwide have the same coverage except:

  • $100,000 per year for each injury or illness
  • $50 deductible cannot be waived
  • Pre-existing conditions are covered only if enrolled within 31 days of eligibility

Health Insurance Card

Health insurance cards are required at off-campus medical providers, including hospitals and doctor's offices. Pick yours up at the Health Center in Riesenberg Gym, or print it from the HTH Worldwide website.

Without your card or insurance information, you will be billed for the services provided.

If you are referred by the Health Center to an outside provider, you must get a claim form stamped by the Health Center. This will be your proof of a referral when you visit the doctor. If you have not received the stamped claim form from the college Health Center, you will pay a $50 deductible.

The Health Center does not serve dependents, and will not provide them referrals. Dependents will pay the $50 deductible per each injury or illness.

Medical Evacuation and Repatriation (MEDEX)

You are required to have coverage for emergency evacuation and repatriation. MEDEX provides:

  • Transportation to country of origin if sick or injured
  • Return of the deceased's remains to country of origin
  • Translation services
  • Emergency reunion benefit
  • Political and security evacuations

Have your own health insurance?

International health insurance plans must meet SUNY guidelines. Foreign health insurance waivers are available in the controller's office in Fort Schuyler. Fill it out and attach a copy of the front and back of your insurance card along with the effective and termination dates and description of your benefits. You will also need a letter, in English, from your insurance company that certifies you are covered for international travel, in addition to proof of medical evacuation and repatriation. Your documentation will be reviewed, and if it is deemed comparable, you will not need to buy additional insurance. 

Enroll your dependent(s) in health insurance when you have enrolled at SUNY Maritime, or within 31 days of your dependent's arrival in the United States, date of marriage, or date of child’s birth. To enroll your dependent click here. You must complete the form and send to the address specified, with the documentation and fee(s) that are required. Boyfriends or girlfriends may not be listed as dependents.

More information about international health insurance is available with Haylor, Freyer & Coon Insurance.