DOMESTIC INSURANCE INFORMATION:
SUNY Maritime requires that all full-time undergraduate students have health insurance. All full-time undergraduate students are billed health insurance and are required to accept/enroll or waive this health insurance.
Students must complete an electronic enrollment or waiver form available at https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/en/school/686154/index.html.
The form is available as of July1, 2017 and the deadline to complete is September 11, 2017. Students who do not take any action will be enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and will be responsible for the charge.
Some changes to the SUNY Maritime College SHIP for the 2017-18 academic year.
- SHIP will be administered by Aetna. Student Health Coverage will be provided automatically to all undergraduate students, who must then enroll or waive by September 11, 2017.
- Students may waive SHIP if they show evidence of active health insurance that provides coverage for medical services in New York City and beyond
- Waivers will be subject to audit by a third party contracted by Aetna Student Health for the 2017-18 academic year. Students will be notified if their waiver is declined, and will have the opportunity to appeal. Within the appeal process, insurance submissions that cannot be verified as meeting SUNY Maritime College’s waiver criteria will be denied a waiver and the student will be assessed the premium charge.
- The SUNY Maritime College SHIP provides comprehensive Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant coverage with an annual charge of $1,712.00. This charge appears on your Fall 2017 statement. .
- Students arriving early to campus can enroll online with Aetna and obtain an electronic ID card.
- All students are strongly encouraged to remain enrolled in the SHIP.
Benefits and Coverage* of the 2017-18 SUNY Maritime College SHIP: (*Refer to plan documents for a complete list of benefits, limitations and exclusions.)
- Coverage for sickness and injury. Coverage for preventive services, as mandated by the ACA. Unlimited annual or lifetime maximum for covered benefits.
- Coverage from August 10, 2017 through August 9, 2018.
- The SHIP extends to intercollegiate sports injuries
- Access to an excellent network of Aetna providers. (Directory is available via the Aetna plan link)
- 0% Coinsurance after Deductible for in-network medical care and offers coverage for out of-network care, subject to coinsurance and deductible.
- The SHIP compliments care given at SUNY Maritime College Health Services.
To Accept insurance: Complete the online enrollment.
To Waive Insurance: Complete the required information. Upon Aetna’s approval, your health insurance fee will be reversed.
It is not required to provide proof of international coverage to waive the domestic insurance.
Questions to ask yourself before waiving
- Will my current plan cover care in the New York Metropolitan area? (Some plans cover emergency only care outside their service area.)
- Does your current plan provide coverage for a sports related injury?
If you have any doubts about the above questions, please check your current health insurance policy or contact your current insurance agent.
Insurance for any study abroad program, including but not limited to Summer Sea Term and/or Cadet Shipping will be automatically billed with the cost of the course. This insurance is not through Aetna and cannot be waived.
Be advised that you may be eligible for coverage under your parents' plan if you are under the age of 26. If you have any questions or concerns about this notice, contact Aetna, (877) 480-4161.
Contact Info: Aetna Insurance - https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/en/school/686154/index.html
SUNY Maritime Enrollment & Billing Questions – firstname.lastname@example.org