Apply for Federal and State Aid

Apply for federal student aid

File your FAFSA

If you want to be considered for financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This qualifies U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens to be considered for federal aid programs.

FAFSA Deadlines

  • February 1 for new students enrolling in the fall semester

  • March 1 for continuing students 

  • November 1 for spring enrollment

If you file after the deadline, you will still be considered for aid but there may be delays in your aid processing.

School code


Request for Additional Information

Some federal aid applicants are selected randomly to verify FAFSA information. If you are selected, the college request additional information or other verification. You must provide the information within 45 days of our request or risk losing some or all of your aid.

Apply for New York State Aid

If you are a resident of New York State, you are eligible to apply for TAP grants and the Excelsior Scholarship.

TAP Grants

New York State TAP Grants are available to undergraduate students.

School code


If you live outside of New York, your state may offer similar undergraduate grant programs. Contact your home agency to find out.

Excelsior Scholarship

The Excelsior Scholarship makes it possible for students whose families earn less than $100,000 adjusted gross income (AGI) a year to attend a SUNY school tuition-free.

Students enrolled beginning fall 2017 are eligible for the program, which is the first of its kind in the nation.

To Apply

To complete the Excelsior application, you need:

  • Copies of your 2016 New York State income tax return(s) filed by you and your parent(s) or your spouse, as applicable

  • Your current unofficial college transcript, showing the number of credits you earned each year prior to applying for this program if you have previously attended college

  • Your Student Aid Report (SAR), which you received when you filed your completed FAFSA

Apply for aid from other states

Students who live outside New York may receive funds from their state scholarship programs. To apply, contact your home state higher education agency for program requirements and application procedures. The U.S. Department of Education publishes a list of State Higher Education Agencies; below are a few agencies whose aid programs currently transfer to Maritime College.

Maryland Residents

The Maryland Higher Education Commission offers the MDCAPS program. 

Delaware Residents

The Delaware Department of Education offers the ScIP program.

Pennsylvania Residents

The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) offers the PHEAA program. Please note that this program is for students in the Facilities Engineering program only.

District of Columbia Residents

Students from Washington, D.C., should apply for the DC Tuition Assistance Grant, offered through the Office of the State Superintendent of Education.