Veterans' Benefits

Types of Benefits

Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 (Chapter 33)

Veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts are eligible for this aid, which covers tuition and provides a stipend for housing and books for up to four years.

You may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001 of at least 36 months;

  • You served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001 and were honorably discharged for a service-connected disability;

  • You are an eligible dependent 

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Provides up to 36 months of education benefits payable for 10 years following release from active duty. May be used for degree and certificate programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency courses may be approved.

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

Provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve, including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps; Coast Guard Reserves; Army and Air National Guard.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

Provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve and National Guard who are called to active service. Assistance is calculated based on the number of continuous days served on active duty.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)

This is veterans who first entered active duty between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and contributed a portion of your military pay to this program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis.

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Provides up to 45 months of education benefits to eligible dependents of certain veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. Spouses have 10 years from the date the VA establishes eligibility to use the benefit. Spouses of veterans who died on active duty have 20 years from the date of death. Children may use the benefit between the ages of 18 and 26.

Obtaining Federal Veterans Benefits

  1. Apply to use your veterans benefits. If you meet the requirements, the Department of Veterans Affairs will issue a certificate of eligibility.

  2. Complete the SUNY Maritime supplemental veterans verification form (Form 1999) and submit to the Office of Student Accounts.

  3. Once you register for courses, bring your VA certificate of eligibility and Form 1999 to the Student Accounts Office.