Accommodation Services

Accommodation Services

Accommodation Services helps students who need accessibility modifications to succeed in their studies. Accommodations are designed to ensure all students with documented disabilities are eligible for accommodations under ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

Guidelines for Students with Disabilities

A diagnosis alone does not identify a disability. Individualized education and 504 plans are acceptable forms of documentation. Before graduating high school, we recommend that all students have comprehensive psychological, educational and social evaluations to assist with the college transition.

To receive accommodations, a professional evaluator must submit a written disclosure as early in the semester as possible. Thorough documentation includes diagnosis, current status of disability, level of functioning and a summary including areas where adjustments might be necessary. For accommodations related to cognitive differences, a psycho-educational or psycho-neurological evaluation should include intelligence/ability and achievement tests.

Specific instructions regarding grievances pertaining to ADA can be found in the Accessibility Services Manual.

To Receive An Accommodation: 

  • Freshmen and transfer students should discuss their needs with an Admissions counselor before the semester starts
  • Send your documentation to the Office of Accessibility Services
    • Email William J. Imbriale, Dean of Student Affairs, at 
    • Mail to: Office of Accessibility Services, Student Life, 6 Pennyfield Ave., Throggs Neck, NY 10465
  • Schedule a meeting with William Imbriale, Dean of Student Affairs, to discuss your needs. Bring your documentation if we don't already have it. Schedule a meeting by calling (718) 409-7348​
  • After review, you will receive a letter of accommodation to share with your professors
  • Students seeking exam accommodations should submit an exam request at least three business days (72 hours) before the exam

Accommodations for students pursuing a U.S. Coast Guard license

There are no accommodations for the U.S. Coast Guard exams, and accommodations for courses that include Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping, or STCW, assessments are usually not permitted. Students who plan to go on summer sea term should talk with the Office of Accessibility Services and their department chair about accommodations.

National Voter Registration Act 

Students registering with accessibility services can receive assistance filling out New York voter registration forms. Click here for more information.


Specific instructions regarding grievances pertaining to ADA can be found in our Accessibility Services Manual.

For more information, contact William J. Imbriale, Dean of Student Affairs, at (718) 409-7348 or