Visa Information for International Students

To study at SUNY Maritime as an international student, you must have an F-1 visa.

You cannot begin classes with a B visa. You will have to return to your home country and apply for an F-1 visa.

Once you have completed your application to Maritime and been accepted, you can begin the visa process. If your visa is approved, you may enter the U.S. within 30 days of the program start date listed on your I-20.

To get an F-1 visa, you must:

  • Be accepted to SUNY Maritime

  • Be issued an I-20 from Maritime

  • Pay your SEVIS fee (I-901)

Start with your I-20 application

If you are accepted to Maritime, please contact Dr. Sherill Anderson for your I-20 application at Make sure you fill it out completely and submit it with a copy of your passport and your financial documentation.

International applicants must document their ability to meet educational and living expenses for one year of study so SUNY Maritime College can issue a Certificate of Visa Eligibility, also called an I-20.

If you are already studying in the US:

You will need to submit 

  • I-20 transfer form
    Photocopy of U.S. visa page with picture photo
    Photocopy of both side of your current I-94 form
    Copies of all I-20 forms

When you are accepted, you must pay the SEVIS fee (I-901).

Maritime will issue your I-20. When you have it, you can make an appointment for your visa with your local U.S. embassy or consulate office.

Pay the SEVIS fee

You must pay the SEVIS fee in U.S. currency.

Pay online

You can complete the form I-901 online and pay with a credit card. This is the quickest way to pay the fee. Print the receipt from your computer and bring it with you to your visa appointment.

Pay by mail

You may submit your I-901 with a check or money order, drawn from a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency. Do not send cash. You must wait for a receipt to be mailed to you before you can make your visa appointment, which can delay your visa application process.

Mail your I-901 and payment in the same envelope to:
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
PO Box 970020
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
United States

Send your I-901 and payment in the same envelope by courier:
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101
United States

Make your appointment for an F-1 visa with your local U.S. embassy or consulate.