Veteran Benefits

For Chapters 30, 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill(R)),1606 and 1607 if you have not applied for Veterans education benefits you will need to do so by completing VA Form 22-1990 which can be done on line. This will provide you with your Certificate of Eligibility, which you must submit to the Financial Aid Office.  To apply using VONAPP (Veterans On Line Application) refer to

For Chapter 35 you will need to complete VA Form 22-5490 which can also be done on line.

For Chapter 31 the application students must fill out is VA Form 22-1900. However, it is advised they call the VA rehabilitation counselor first. To learn more about or apply for Chapter 31 benefits in NYS, call the following number 1-800-827-1000.

Certification of Enrollment

For all chapter benefits  (with the exception of Chapter 31) the VA certifying official must notify the Department of Veterans Affair of your enrollment each semester.  It is your responsibility to contact the VA certifying official at which time you are fully registered for a term and complete the 1999 form with a copy of your class schedule attached. 


What to send to SUNY Maritime's Financial Aid Office

  • Copy of member DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty).  This only applies to veterans.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for chapter 30, 31, 33 and 35 (you will receive this form from the one of the regional VA office once a determination on your eligibility is made).
  • Notice of basic eligibility (NOBE) if you are using chapter 1606 or 1607 benefits.
  • Maritime's VA 1999 Enrollment form.  This must be completed, signed with a copy of your semester's registration attached.

**The Financial Aid Office cannot certify your enrollment with the VA until you register for classes and receive a bill for the semester.  Add/dropping classes may result in adjustment to your benefits.  After certification of chapter 31, 33 and 35 benefits, the Financial Aid Office will post an estimated award on your account.  The actual award may differ once the VA sends payment to the school**

IMPORTANT: IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOTIFY THE FINANCIAL AID OFFICE/ VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL WHEN WITHDRAWING OR ADDING A COURSE.  The VA requires veterans receiving benefits to attend all classes.  Failure to do so may result in the loss of benefits and pay back of veteran benefits already received for the semester in question.

IMPORTANT CHAPTER 33: The veteran is responsible for any overpayment incurred as a result of not completing courses.  In the event a veteran does not complete a course, schools should follow their established student refund policy.  Students will be responsible for any overpayment to the VA.


Tuition and fees payments will be sent to the school generally around the time classes start.  The VA Certifying Official will post your estimated veteran benefits and have it authorized on your account.  You will be responsible for any balance due that is above what the veteran benefits cover.

The first check should arrive six to eight weeks after the first day of classes or later if the veteran should apply for certification after classes begin.  Make sure that you register for your courses on time to ensure prompt certification of your enrollment.

Other types of aid available to Veterans

Veterans who are in the Associates or Bachelor degree program are encouraged to complete the FAFSA application.  If the veteran is eligible for the Pell Grant, he/she can receive it in addition to the veterans benefits.  You can apply for the FAFSA at .  SUNY Maritime's school code is 002853.

New York State Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) is awards to full time and part time study for those who are New York State residents discharged under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces.  The total amount of tuition paid by the VTA and veteran benefits cannot exceed 100% of the tuition cost.  The VTA amount will be recalculated and reduced based on the veteran benefits received from the VA.  Questions on how to establish eligibility should be directed to HESC at (888) 697-4372.

VA Certifying Official

The VA Certifying Official is responsible for the accurate and prompt certification of enrollments and changes in enrollment of eligible students to the VA.  The VA Certifying Official is an employee of the college, not the VA and cannot determine eligibility for VA educational Benefits.

Overview of Benefits

Chapter 30 (Veterans GI Bill)

Educational assistance program available to fully honorably discharged veterans who meet the eligibility criteria explained in detail on the Department of Veterans Affairs website Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD).

Chapter 33 (The Post 9/11 GI Bill)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. More eligibility information on The Post 9/11 GI Bill is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

**For incoming students, you may not receive your housing stipend until 30 days after the start of the semester**

Chapter 1606 (Reserves/National Guard)

This program may be available if you are a member of a selected reserve. More eligibility information on Chapter 1606 is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) eligibility information on Chapter 1607 is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website

Chapter 35 (Survivor's and Dependents Educational Assistance program DEA)

The spouse, child, stepchild or adopted child of a veteran who is deceased (service-connected) or who is 100% disabled (service-connected) may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

Any veteran receiving at least 10% permanent, service-connected disability from the DVA can apply for this benefit. Approval is made on a case-by-case basis and is managed at the state level. To learn more about or apply for Chapter 31 benefits in NYS, call 1-800-827-1000.

In State Tuition for Veteran students

For all inquiries regarding in state tuition rates for incoming veteran students, please contact Admissions (718) 409-7221.

For all inquiries regarding in state tuition rates for continuing students, please contact Student Accounts (718) 409-7400 option #2.  All students are certified based on the in state tuition rate for all VA benefits.


SUNY Maritime Veterans Certifying Official contact information:

Michele Ferrara, Veterans Certifying Official, Student Financial Services Administrator


The Office of Student Accounts is located on the first floor of Baylis Hall

Office Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday

Contact Numbers: (phone) 718.409.7400 option #2/ (fax) 718.409.7299