If you want to be a member of the U.S. Merchant Marine, you must belong to the regiment of cadets and pursue a U.S. Coast Guard license in addition to studying for your degree. The regiment gives cadets the leadership and management training necessary to succeed as merchant marine officers.

The regiment offers two types of training. You may pursue an unlimited third mate, or deck, license; or an unlimited third assistant engineering, or engine, license. An unlimited license means you will be qualified to sail on a ship of any horsepower or tonnage.

Third mates help to navigate a ship safely, to load and unload cargo, and to communicate with other ships and shore-side operations, among other things. For the chance to pursue a third mate’s license, study:

Bachelor of Engineering

  •     Electrical Engineering

  •     Naval Architecture


Bachelor of Science

  •     Marine Environmental Science

  •     Marine Operations

  •     Marine Transportation


Master of Science

  •     International Transportation Management

  •     Maritime and Naval Studies

Third assistant engineers are usually responsible for several of a ship’s systems, as well as sharing watch-standing duties. For the chance to earn an engine license, study:


Bachelor of Engineering

  •     Electrical Engineering

  •     Facilities Engineering

  •     Marine Engineering

  •     Mechanical Engineering

  •     Naval Architecture


Bachelor of Science

  • Marine Operations

Upon earning your deck or engine license, you will be qualified for a wide variety of jobs on a wide variety of vessels, including cruise ships, research vessels, off-shore platforms or tankers.

For more information, contact:

Mrs. Taleen Stroud, Director of Licensing and Cadet Shipping



The licensing office is in Student Affairs on the first floor of Baylis Hall. It is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every weekday.




Additional information:


Application Guidance Documents: